Follow EMECO on Twitter
What's in it for You?
The recent advances in the development and implementation of tools capable of providing live data and information has revolutionised the way scientists monitor and communicate changes in climate and the marine environment.
EMECO provides a framework for integrating this data and information to improve the accuracy and, therefore, confidence in the results.
"Operational monitoring" and the ability to provide information as it happens in real time has countless benefits for everybody, from scientists to policy makers and from recreational users to industry.
Scientists are getting fresh insights into the relationships between environmental changes and the way that the ocean responds. Policy makers and environmental managers can respond quickly to changes in the level of threats and / or changes in the oceans health.
Operational marine monitoring improves our ability to preserve human life, property, and commerce. Monitoring wave activities, tidal flows, and weather conditions contributes towards improved forecasting and can provide early warning of coastal floods, potential damage to marine structures such as oilrigs, and dangerous sea conditions for recreational use, transporting goods, or fishing.
Live information of the state of the ocean enables people to maximise their use of the ocean and its resources. Surfers, divers, fishers, sailors, kayakers, and beach goers can make an informed choice for the best spot to visit any day of the year.
RSS News & Events
- Scientists revamp open ocean observatory
- The National Oceanography Centre (NOC) and the UK Met Office have joined forces to revamp the Porcupine Abyssal Plain Sustained Observatory (PAP-SO) in the northeast Atlantic.
- ODAS buoy fit out and deployment with Cefas Payload
- A combined effort from staff at Cefas and the Marine Institute are temporarily re-fitting a spareODAS (UK Met designed Ocean data Acquisition System) deep field weather buoy to carry an alternative payload to go on trial at the M1 location.
- New Western Shelf Observatory Launched
- The Western Shelf domain encompasses the Western UK and Irish shelf and its adjacent sea areas and catchments.
- More news & events »