- SmartBuoy is an automated, stationary, in situ marine monitoring system that measures at high frequency biological, chemical and physical variables.
- WaveNet is a wave monitoring network that provides a single source of real-time wave data from in situ wave measuring buoys.
- FerryBox systems are operated on ferries and other ships of opportunity and contain automated sensors and samplers for measuring biological, chemical, and physical variables.
- Satellites carrying remote sensors monitor the world's oceans, providing data on sea surface temperature, chlorophyll concentrations, and suspended particulate matter. They also have many other applications, including monitoring changes in sea ice extent and mapping ocean habitiats.
- The Continuous Plankton Recorder (CPR) programme has been measuring the abundance, distribution, and species composition of phytoplankton and zooplankton in the North Atlantic and North Sea since 1931.